Angmering Forums
Angmering Forums
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Specifically Angmering (Category)
 Angmering General - Forum
 Chandlers BMW Relocation

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
neil Posted - 02 Nov 2012 : 12:16:42
Chandlers Worthing (BMW) are inviting local residents to a Public Exhibition on Thursday 8 November (4pm - 8pm) at the Village Hall to view the proposed relocation from their current site in Water Lane to Roundstone Farm on the A259.

Does anybody know at this stage the exact location of the proposed site at Roundstone Farm. Is it land off the A280/A259 roundabout near Chips Away, or further down the A259 by the PYO farm, or off the roundabout on the south side of the A259/Old Worthing Road, or elsewhere?

For a number of years now, I have been urging the Parish Council to have a plan/finances in place to acquire a bit of Chandlers land for additional car parking in/near the village centre. Proposed relocation has been on the cards for some years. I wonder what provisions APC have made?
40   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
roosterbri Posted - 19 Oct 2014 : 11:11:05
Still no activity......can only assume the owners of the land are waiting to sell Sainsburys land before they can afford to develop the area (assuming they are the same owners)
roosterbri Posted - 25 Jun 2014 : 06:17:10
Thanks Bert but all they have done is chopped down some trees and left them there. This was done a few months ago.
Bert Posted - 24 Jun 2014 : 20:49:27
roosterbri......I think there has been quite a substantial amount of land clearance.
roosterbri Posted - 24 Jun 2014 : 14:44:17
Is it me??? Here we are 10 months later and still nothing happening on the Windmill Road site. Did I miss something??
neil Posted - 23 Sep 2013 : 19:06:27
Probably too small for Waitrose.
lindylou Posted - 23 Sep 2013 : 17:52:07
M&S or Waitrose, hopefully
roosterbri Posted - 23 Sep 2013 : 12:23:57
quote:
Originally posted by lindylou

'the smallish foodstore'?????? Who else would hope to vie with the neighbouring monstrous Sainsburys. Tesco ? - maybe they could put a three/ four storey store on the site , I'm sure anything would get passed.

ALDI
lindylou Posted - 21 Sep 2013 : 19:37:24
'the smallish foodstore'?????? Who else would hope to vie with the neighbouring monstrous Sainsburys. Tesco ? - maybe they could put a three/ four storey store on the site , I'm sure anything would get passed.
neil Posted - 20 Sep 2013 : 19:25:17
The Exhibition was advertised in the Littlehampton Gazette, the Angmering Parish Council website, the Angmering Parish Council window, SAV email to people on their distribution list, the AVL News page, and the AVL Events page. No doubt it was also advertised in Rustington as well. I apologise for getting the times a bit wrong - it was 3pm-7pm and not 10am-7pm.

Apart from all that, advertising was pretty poor!!!
AngmeringAl Posted - 20 Sep 2013 : 18:19:56
Well , I put my hands up because I didn't think it was a suitable site , why on earth didn't they plan it there in the first place ! anyway its surely a foregone conclusion now regarding the planning application . As for the showing of the plans last night , was this advertised ?
seagull Posted - 20 Sep 2013 : 00:07:12
I went and had a look at the proposed development. It looks fine for the new Chandlers site and can see no reason why it should not be approved. As Derek says, this now leaves the Chandlers site in Water Lane, available for sensible and suitable housing for Angmering and making the Roundstone Lane proposals redundant.
Arun planning officers please note!
derekdainton Posted - 19 Sep 2013 : 17:02:51
And leave the existing Chandlers site available for the type and density of housing which is so much more acceptable than the Roundstone Lane proposals.
neil Posted - 19 Sep 2013 : 16:26:38
So now we know! At today's exhibition of the proposed new retail park west of Windmill Bridge, Angmering, we learned that Chandlers have plans to take about 50% of the site, the remaining 50% being divided between one smallish food store and one smallish non-food store.

Chandlers would move both their BMW Angmering operations and their Mini Rustington operations to the new site.

Entry and exit is now proposed only from the A259, meaning that cars exiting the site wanting to come back to Angmering or Worthing will need to go down the by-pass to the Body Shop roundabout. The will be no entry or exit from Windmill Bridge itself which is a major change from that proposed by the previous developers.

All in all, and bearing in mind that the site already has planning permission (at least for car showrooms), the proposals by Store Property look reasonable. It would certainly improve the parking and traffic situation in the village centre.

roosterbri Posted - 03 Aug 2013 : 06:27:48
I suggest most of the objections came from Ferring who do not have a major car distributor in their village. As you say they would be building by now.

Oooops!! Forgot pewgot on A259
AngmeringAl Posted - 03 Aug 2013 : 00:24:24
If so many people hadn't objected to Chandlers moving out of the village to a site on a main road , they would probably be building their new premises now .
roosterbri Posted - 01 Aug 2013 : 16:33:40
Perhaps they will be incorporated into the new Garden City
Nigel Posted - 01 Aug 2013 : 10:08:13
Is it just me, or do most people in Water Lane own a BMW and work nights. There's hardly a BMW to be seen after 6pm.
HanceR Posted - 01 Aug 2013 : 07:28:54
Does anyone know what our planners are cooking up to move Chandlers out of the village or do we have to put up with the congestion they create indefinitely? Perhaps will we have to wait for BMW to close them down?
We get upset about travellers on our soon to be lost open spaces but Chandlers are just as much a nuisance in the village.
Atomius Posted - 07 May 2013 : 16:30:29
Better an open for business Asdas than a run down closed garden centre. Having said that I would have (if this were Simcity) just created a larger facility at the old Sainsburys site and turned the Country Fare site into a market garden or somesuch semi rural operation maybe a new garden centre (although there's already enough).

The Asda site may be 'large' and so forth but it is fresh and clean and popular. Preserving green space is a great idea, but looking at an old map from the 19th century one can see how much things have changed locally. Even the Longback Cottages were apparently as recently constructed as the 1700s. I was always of the 'up rather than out' school of thought on developments. But I also favour the concept of pedestrianised zones and people living close to their workplaces...

roosterbri Posted - 07 May 2013 : 09:32:44
Where is the strategic gap on the north side of the A259 at Ferring???
AngmeringAl Posted - 20 Apr 2013 : 19:12:21
I have met some of the " sheep " most didn't have a clue really why they were against it , if you have really good reason to object about something in life , then do so . One lady I know well in East Preston was telling me all about it and after about 10 minutes it became apparent she had objected to it thinking it was the site opposite the Golf course haha I duely pointed out that it was at the Roundstone roundabout , she wasn't the slightest bit bothered .
As for Asda's , it dwarfs the old country fayre site and extends right to the back now , therefore no strategic gap anymore !
derekdainton Posted - 20 Apr 2013 : 09:20:39
You would think from the criticism of Asda that it was built on an existing greenfield site. In reality it was a rather tatty collection of buildings that were there before.

So Asda didn't 'see' to the erosion of the gap. If anything, you could say the site was improved.
angmeringpaul Posted - 19 Apr 2013 : 21:31:18
Al I think it is a bit harse to criticise the Ferring group or "all the sheep who followed the Ferring Conservation Group".
The Ferring Group have no responsibility for the issues in Angmering and have (so far anyway) achieved their goal in protecting the gap.
You could put the same criticism of the save Angmering Village "sheep". Does agreeing with a position make you a sheep?
AngmeringAl Posted - 19 Apr 2013 : 20:04:49
And many of the cars parked up the High street belong to the employees , well done to all the sheep who followed the Ferring Conservation Group ! There is no strategic gap any more to talk about , Asda's have made sure of that .
derekdainton Posted - 19 Apr 2013 : 20:04:45
Perhaps BMWs parked everywhere increases property values. Better than old bangers!
luckyduck Posted - 19 Apr 2013 : 17:35:43
and Cumberland Road
roosterbri Posted - 19 Apr 2013 : 16:03:14
Nearly every car parked up Water Lane this morning was a BMW!!!!!!!
roosterbri Posted - 13 Apr 2013 : 06:22:05
Obviously BMW HQ want them to move to better premises. They will probably move to a more ameanable local council area. ie Worthing. It should not make a difference to employees as most of them probably drive their own cars to work anyway.
GreenFields Posted - 12 Apr 2013 : 12:42:38
They could always buy the VHB site or part of it and use that.
I would expect it'll be too expensive for them though.
derekdainton Posted - 12 Apr 2013 : 09:23:48
Joined by Lady Macbeth, his wife!
neil Posted - 12 Apr 2013 : 08:15:15
Depressed? Got that Friday feeling? In need of a good laugh? Then read of District Councillor Ricky Bower's indignation in the following Worthing Herald article where he rails against the Chandlers' A259 planning application:

www.worthingherald.co.uk/news/business/latest-news/angmering-bmw-dealership-complex-rejected-by-councillors-1-4986893

Cllr Bower is the Cabinet Member at Arun District Council responsible for Planning, Strategic Housing, Building Control, Land Charges, Planning Policy, Development Control, Transport and Infrastructure, Rural Issues, and the South Downs National Park.

I'm finding it increasingly difficult to vote for any of the party candidates at the forthcoming District Council elections.
Questor Posted - 11 Apr 2013 : 22:12:34
So what are Chandlers options now? Are we sentenced to a continuing life of misery, or can this very successful business be given the space locally it deserves. I am sure most of us all want a solution, so where can they go?
Bert Posted - 11 Apr 2013 : 16:53:32
Planning application by Chandlers, for site at Roundstone Farm,....refused by DCC on 10th April.
AngmeringAl Posted - 05 Apr 2013 : 12:12:50
I would have thought its the same BMW's and wannabe BMW owners that would be driving along the A259 anyway , they are just turning off at a different roundabout exit .
roosterbri Posted - 05 Apr 2013 : 06:03:23
Sheeesh!!! Its not like there is going to be anywhere near as much traffic to and from the proposed site to the Roundabout as there is from say the A280. It is not a supermarket.
AngmeringAl Posted - 05 Apr 2013 : 00:42:33
The fact is your main issue with the roundstone site was incorrect , why make such bold statements without reading things properly . But I do agree with you that I also would have thought Chandlers could easily afford the site opposite the Golf course if it had been suitable .
lindylou Posted - 04 Apr 2013 : 22:02:40
The plans (5. Design and Access Statement) states:
"The customer entrance to the site will be predominantly from Site
Access 1 off the existing roundabout (Note this access is to be
made one way for traffic entering the site). Site Access 2 serves as a
delivery entrance along with the exit for all vehicular traffic..
So I may have been partly incorrect in my understanding of the application but there IS access off the roundabout
AngmeringAl Posted - 04 Apr 2013 : 21:13:53
lindylou ... it is because of people like you that planning gets granted for many things by various councils , you talk total tosh to quote you " The main issue is the fact that the Roundstone site exit/ entry is onto the already hideously busy bypass roundabout " you cant have even looked at the plans ... there is NO exit onto the roundabout , the only exit is onto the A259 .
The link for the plans is on this page , why not take a look !!!
lindylou Posted - 04 Apr 2013 : 18:37:42
US style strip mall on the east side of Angmering is ok then ? The main issue is the fact that the Roundstone site exit/ entry is onto the already hideously busy bypass roundabout.
I would have thought that IF the cost of the land opposite the Golf Centre was higher BMW could well afford it especially as planning was already approved for showrooms etc.
Why did Chandlers want to be on the Worthing side of Angmering - because of the bottleneck between Station Road/ Roundstone Lane/ Bypass ?? If they go onto the proposed site they will probably make that worse +++++.
derekdainton Posted - 04 Apr 2013 : 17:47:47
Car storage compounds are, as their name implies, compounds for the storage of cars ordered but not sold or prepped. You only have to look at the over-crowding in both their existing showroom and used car facility to see what they might want to do if they had the additional space.

Sure, the Golf Course site would be OK if it was used for nothing else but a succession of motor dealers but that's not going to happen now is it? And even if it was on the cards we really don't want a US style strip mall. Mixed use for that site is the best alternative.

Angmering Forums © Neil Rogers-Davis, 2006 - present Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000