Angmering Forums
Angmering Forums
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Specifically Angmering (Category)
 Angmering General - Forum
 lamb pub

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
maddovey Posted - 19 Nov 2011 : 12:05:58
I can not wait 2see the new lamb with all the work goin on but do the workers need 2park out front wen there is a huge car park out back it is not fun tryin 2get passed with a buggy I had2 take my 2year old on the road, then if they don't park on the pavement they park right out on the road as if it ain't hard enough gettin passed BMW cars u now need 2get passed vans aswell x x x
40   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Questor Posted - 16 Sep 2015 : 17:51:31
There is a news report from Neil, however trying to reach as many people as possible I would like to inform everybody interested that The Lamb at Angmering WILL BE CLOSED for a week from Monday October 26th, reopening Monday November 2nd. This is for Health and Safety issues during the building of the foundation for the Orangery at the north end of our building. The total build and interior decoration is planned to be completed by November end. We apologise to all of our customers for any inconvenience this will cause and look forward to seeing you in the new expanded Lamb.
Questor Posted - 27 Sep 2014 : 23:35:03
A number or retailers in the village and individuals have approached our staff and our family recently and asked if it is true we are selling The Lamb at Angmering to the Chapman Group, who are the owners of Angmering Manor. I have no idea where this rumour started, however it has been gathering pace so we felt we should clearly state our position.
We have never had contact from either Mr. or Mrs. Chapman or any representative from their group.
We continue to redevelop The Lamb and provide a warm welcome for all who enter our doors. Since we opened back in April 2012 we have built a strong following in bar, restaurant and room trade. Our intention is to continue to work hard to raise the standards we have set and to ensure the Lamb remains a very attractive hostelry for visitors. We have no intention now or in the foreseeable future of selling the wonderful old building our family have come to love. We would like to take this opportunity to thank the residents of Angmering for the tremendous support they have given to the old Inn. We have been very fortunate to have received such strong support and we are very proud of the reputation we have developed in our first two and a half years of trading.
The village and its visitors now have three excellent venues, to choose from, Angmering Manor, The Spotted Cow and The Lamb at Angmering. Choice is healthy for successful businesses, it drives up standards and keeps pricing competitive. I am sure the residents of Angmering understand this and welcome the current situation. Long may the current status continue.
Questor Posted - 04 Aug 2014 : 18:10:16
Just a heads up on the current work going on at The Lamb at Angmering. This is the final stage of phase 2 of the restoration of the wonderful old building and will take from 4 to 8 weeks to complete according to the problems we will undoubtably uncover. The 2nd floor is being restored to provide a further bedroom suite for letting accommodation.
The Lamb at Angmering will then be complete with 7 letting bedrooms all en suite and fitted out to a high standard. We will be exposing the original timbers in the ceiling structure to make the stunning 7th letting suite which required listed building and planning consent.
We apologise to the Village for the inconvenience caused and will do our best to ensure it is kept to a minimum.
The skip that has been positioned on the north east side of the Inn, where we park the Lamb car is land owned by us and we will endeavour to keep it tidy whilst building is going on.
If anybody has any questions we will be happy to respond either at the Inn or through this Forum.
Questor Posted - 26 Sep 2012 : 18:08:42
We are sorry for the inconvenience and look of the scaffolding currently around the Lamb. It is expected to be there for around 2 weeks and is the final job in the first phase of renovation. Works are being closely monitored by the Arun district Council Planning department. The close wooden boards are all being removed from the first floor and new insulation added to two of the elevations. New close boarding will then be errected over the newly insulated walls. The concrete chimney stack on the north east wall facing down to Chandlers will be painted black along with the extraction system on the first floor of the back wall facing the car park.
These works should smarten up the look of the pub significantly.
Next year we hope, with planning permission, to begin the second phase of renovation to outbuildings and the second floor.
We would be happy to answer any questions on this forum or directly to us at The Lamb.
Questor Posted - 24 May 2012 : 18:15:24
Well Roosterbri, We are still alive and kicking. Having not been publicans before we had no idea what to expect. We realised that we needed the village to support the pub so we tried to price accordingly, bearing in mind the heavy outlay we had to bring the pub back to a habitable condition.
I must say we have been delighted with the very kind comments we have had from villagers and visitors from outside Angmering and at the same time, very grateful for the superb support we have received. However, we are supposed to be in the 'honeymoon period' for the first 3 months, so it will be interesting to see how we are doing in, say, September. Ask me again then.
We are having our first 'Village night' on Tuesday the 19th June, a set menu of main course and pud for 12 quid this also includes a free pint or glass of wine. You can see the details tomorrow on our website www.thelamb-angmering.com. Maybe I might meet up with you on Village night, our new guest ale is very tasty, my very best wishes, Questor
roosterbri Posted - 24 May 2012 : 17:52:54
So Questor how has the first 6 weeks gone for you and the pub??
neil Posted - 24 May 2012 : 12:44:26
Just spent an hour or more sitting outside The Lamb in the sun with friends drinking the excellent coffee and watching the world go by.

I must say that the outside seats are really comfortable and, apart from that, look good as well. Just did not want to move!!!
Questor Posted - 21 Apr 2012 : 15:01:26
Roosterbri, thanks for your comments. Unfortunately the old courtyard is now going to be locked off. We are using the area for management and staff stuff. Perhaps we can supply a brolly....................!
roosterbri Posted - 21 Apr 2012 : 08:48:54
Questor......the furnishing and fittings are excellent and in the summer when the sun is higher it will be a nice little sun trap.

You are obviously taking the tables and chairs in of a night time...most sensible.

If I may make one suggestion however....reduce the numbers of tables by one and place one undercover in the old courtyard for ""Inclement weather"".....selfish puffer that I am.

The place seems to be taking off big time...my congratulations
Questor Posted - 19 Apr 2012 : 23:17:37
Roosterbri, all now compete in the new smoking area. I don't myself, however I like the new smokers corner we have created. Let us know if you approve on your next visit.
roosterbri Posted - 17 Apr 2012 : 06:18:56
Thanks for heads up Questor....lets just hope the local nerds do not create any damage
Questor Posted - 16 Apr 2012 : 23:30:40
Roosterbri, tables and chairs for outside smoking and drinking should be delivered tomorrow and will be positioned on the new patio area at the back of the pub. We will also be adding some tub landscaping, it should look very nice when finished.
Karl@KCM Posted - 14 Apr 2012 : 21:33:07
popped in today with the wife for a lunchtime tipple, most impressed with the look of the place, booked in for dinner in the week
neil Posted - 12 Apr 2012 : 17:33:21
Had a lovely cappuccino in The Lamb this morning. Was really hot and had a good coffee taste. Froth remained for the whole drink.
derekdainton Posted - 12 Apr 2012 : 16:01:12
Visited Lamb today for lunch. Very impressed on all fronts. Other establishments in the village will certainly need to raise their game.

Will be interesting to see the frequency of menu changes as choice at moment would be a bit limited if you visited regularly. Policy of prices rounded to the pound a good idea.

A true gastro pub? Debatable, perhaps, but quality linked to price level spot on. At least we don't suffer from the confusion of quantity and quality in many places. Well worth a recommendation.
n/a Posted - 04 Apr 2012 : 22:37:32
quote:
Originally posted by Bert

Down South....if you read the post from Questor...just three comments above yours...you will find out!!

Thanks Bert, catching up with the forum, and read things too quickly!
Eliza Posted - 03 Apr 2012 : 19:41:45
Just like to say Well done to the lamb. i think its lovely, had lunch there today and was impressed. We will be returning, Great to have a pub of this standard in the village. We wish them every success in the years ahead.
roosterbri Posted - 03 Apr 2012 : 16:45:32
Many thanks Questor
Mr Growser Posted - 03 Apr 2012 : 16:14:36
Meant money not monet.
Sorry
Mr Growser Posted - 03 Apr 2012 : 16:12:43
Agree with Neil and also attended the opening today.
Absolutely first class all round and what a change from the dingy old Lamb.
Restaurant will set a standard which local competitors will struggle to match.
Great atmosphere and am looking forward to sampling the quite reasonably priced dishes on offer.
Also greatly impressed by guest bedrooms which must be seen to be believed.As good as the Shangri La in Singapore for my monet.
neil Posted - 03 Apr 2012 : 16:00:57
HBS, this is definitely a Gastro Pub. The intention is for people to book, especially evenings and weekends, to ensure getting a table. However, I'm sure there will be times when some tables will be available without booking, but you would have to take a chance with no guarantee of availability. Lunchtimes may be a different matter and having a sandwich or a meal may not be problem but, again, no guarantees. If anyone definitely wants a meal at lunchtime, it would probably be best to reserve a table.

All the people I spoke to in the Lamb today were impressed with what they saw. It's also great to have Harvey's on tap at present. If readers remember the terrible 1930s toilets that were there until last year, they will be impressed with the massive upgrade that has taken place. Several people mentioned to me that they always judge an establishment by its toilets.

The owners want to ensure that this is an Angmering pub and through their designers have commissioned some 20 framed photos of old Angmering with decent captions, mostly from the first decade of the 20th century, but all falling within the years 1895 to 1938. Most village/country pubs have just generic photos on display and occasionally a few local scenes.

I was also pleased to see that a high proportion of the staff come from Angmering. Even the General Manager lived in Angmering for many years during his youth and went to The Angmering School.

We were very fortunate to be invited to last night's pre-opening function and again were most impressed with the standard that has been set. The shredded shin of beef with horseradish mash was one of the tastiest meals I have had for a long time. My wife had some superb sea bass. I can also recommend the house wines. The South African red Riebeek was extremely good. It is also clear that much effort has gone into the training of staff.

But you must go along and try the fare yourself!

See the AVL News page for a photo of today's opening ceremony and pictures from inside the Lamb.
Questor Posted - 03 Apr 2012 : 15:16:40
Roosterbri, Please note new area just paved at the back of the pub by the back door including new drainage. Completed yesterday. Waiting tables and chairs. We have smartened this area up considerably for those that would like to smoke. Tables and Chairs may take a couple of weeks but the wait will be worth it. We wish to ensure all who use the pub have the facilities they require. Glad you enjoyed your visit.
roosterbri Posted - 03 Apr 2012 : 14:25:11
Have visited and looks very smart indeed, and good luck to all who sail in her. I would ceratinly give the restaurant a try.

However is the policy to be non smoking on the premises at all...or is it a case of not quite finished yet???

I admit to being one of the lepers who enjoys a ciggy with his beer,,,and I suspect so do a few others..however there does not appear to be provision for the colony to sit outside and chat amongst their fellow puffers.

Comments appreciated
HBS Posted - 02 Apr 2012 : 13:39:44
quote:
Originally posted by Questor

I have kept abreast of the posts on The Lamb since we purchased it. May I thank everybody who sent us the best of luck, good wishes etc. I can tell you, it is very rewarding to read such comments after a hard day negotiating with Punch Taverns, or after purchase, being told by the contractors they have discovered, after removing the rendering, that there is a split 6 inches wide in the West Wall. We have had an old building before, however it was a doddle to renovate compared to The Lamb.
I am sorry to tell you that we are having to put the opening back to Tuesday April 3rd, unfortunately problems with the Gas supply and the fitting of the kitchen have thrown a small spanner in the works. We shall serve our first dinners from the kitchen on Friday March 30th for the extended family and four friends, about 14 of us. This is to see how the equipment performs and is part of the staff training.
On the Monday, April 2nd, we have scheduled a full restaurant of 58 covers. We owe thanks to so many, Solicitors, Accountants, Surveyors, Suppliers, Contractors, Architects, our friends who have spent so much time with us scrubbing walls, painting, filling skips, local press and many more, including Neil Rogers-Davis and the APC Chair Pat, whose advice has been so freely given. So after that lot Beernard there are not many 'tickets' left.
As an indication of how bad it was inside, there was so much junk in the place we have now exceeded paying over �2,000 on skips and this does not include the contractors skips. The purpose of the 'thank you' night is to, as it says, say 'Thank You'. We also use the evening to put the pressure on the kitchen for the first time, to allow the team to blend together and ensure we can give the necessary service under pressure, test the service walkways and the tills, we need to see if the till equipment will operate and take cards etc.
So on the following morning at 11am, Wednesday April 3rd, if everything works, the Lamb will, fingers crossed reopen.
Have we done it right? Will the new Lamb at Angmering succeed where so many others have failed? I do not know. What I do know is that we have done our best to restore the old building to its former glories, we will attempt to provide constant attentive service, quality food, a good knowledge of our wines, good ale, fair prices and a warm welcome. You will decide if we succeed or not and that's the way it should be.
Once again thank you all for your very kind comments on the Forum. Roll on next week!

Excellent reply and good luck with the "new" Lamb.

Will this be a gastro pub or a restaurant? My question really is, will we need to book or can we just turn up?
samsamoo Posted - 02 Apr 2012 : 10:11:40
Well said Bert!
Down South - who are you?
Good Luck to the Lamb.

angmering resident 25 yrs+
Bert Posted - 02 Apr 2012 : 10:01:31
Down South....if you read the post from Questor...just three comments above yours...you will find out!!
n/a Posted - 01 Apr 2012 : 18:35:33
quote:
Originally posted by beernard

I have heard the planned opening night is the 28th of march but ticket only! Not aimed at the local pub for local people idea! Probably aimed at the golf society of ham manor!

Who are they?
charlie Posted - 24 Mar 2012 : 15:02:32
Looking forward to having a meal at the Lamb ,shame you have had all the problems I am sure we will all be delighted with our new place to eat in our lovely village.Wishing you all the very best.
roosterbri Posted - 24 Mar 2012 : 12:54:34
Many thanks Questor for a considered and appropriate response to all the critics.
Look forward to seeing you when you open
Questor Posted - 23 Mar 2012 : 16:37:47
I have kept abreast of the posts on The Lamb since we purchased it. May I thank everybody who sent us the best of luck, good wishes etc. I can tell you, it is very rewarding to read such comments after a hard day negotiating with Punch Taverns, or after purchase, being told by the contractors they have discovered, after removing the rendering, that there is a split 6 inches wide in the West Wall. We have had an old building before, however it was a doddle to renovate compared to The Lamb.
I am sorry to tell you that we are having to put the opening back to Tuesday April 3rd, unfortunately problems with the Gas supply and the fitting of the kitchen have thrown a small spanner in the works. We shall serve our first dinners from the kitchen on Friday March 30th for the extended family and four friends, about 14 of us. This is to see how the equipment performs and is part of the staff training.
On the Monday, April 2nd, we have scheduled a full restaurant of 58 covers. We owe thanks to so many, Solicitors, Accountants, Surveyors, Suppliers, Contractors, Architects, our friends who have spent so much time with us scrubbing walls, painting, filling skips, local press and many more, including Neil Rogers-Davis and the APC Chair Pat, whose advice has been so freely given. So after that lot Beernard there are not many 'tickets' left.
As an indication of how bad it was inside, there was so much junk in the place we have now exceeded paying over £2,000 on skips and this does not include the contractors skips. The purpose of the 'thank you' night is to, as it says, say 'Thank You'. We also use the evening to put the pressure on the kitchen for the first time, to allow the team to blend together and ensure we can give the necessary service under pressure, test the service walkways and the tills, we need to see if the till equipment will operate and take cards etc.
So on the following morning at 11am, Wednesday April 3rd, if everything works, the Lamb will, fingers crossed reopen.
Have we done it right? Will the new Lamb at Angmering succeed where so many others have failed? I do not know. What I do know is that we have done our best to restore the old building to its former glories, we will attempt to provide constant attentive service, quality food, a good knowledge of our wines, good ale, fair prices and a warm welcome. You will decide if we succeed or not and that's the way it should be.
Once again thank you all for your very kind comments on the Forum. Roll on next week!
Mr Growser Posted - 22 Mar 2012 : 13:05:37
Sneak preview with 2 year old Grandson at Owner,s Invitation late this morning and have to say very impressive in all aspects including Beer choices such as London Pride and Harveys Sussex.
Separate dining area also extremely inviting so shall look forward to supping there soon. Grandson will have to wait a while!
roosterbri Posted - 22 Mar 2012 : 12:20:05
For goodness sake give the guy a chance....if he wants a private party to open the place that is his perogative.

The very best of luck to him..I will certainly be using The Lamb for both beer and food
patty Posted - 21 Mar 2012 : 20:37:16
Beernard, you really make me laugh

Do I detect some jealousy here perhaps that you dont have a secret ticket?

Think about it, do you honestly believe that after all the effort and money that has been sunk into the Lamb, that the owners would have a ticket only opening night?
Do behave, for goodness sake - all those frowns are gonna give you an awfully wrinkled face if you are not careful.

I wasnt aware that an opening date had been given yet, I am sure Neil would be advising us all if it had been announced.

Perhaps the owners are giving a private party BEFORE the place opens to give it a trial run and test it for any possible teething problems - that would seem to be a sensible thing to do. Far better to have friends around you if there are going to be any problems, than customers like you

And of course if they are all from the Golf club, they can take their clubs with them and play with the coloured balls in the childrens pen that I hear has been installed in the snug.

Mr Growser Posted - 21 Mar 2012 : 18:01:11
Agree with Wigit that we should give the New Lamb every chance and not prejudge.
I want this to be a success as Angmering has been the poorer over last ten years with an extremely tatty Pub in a showcase position.
neil Posted - 21 Mar 2012 : 17:47:38
I believe pre-opening night is for people who have helped the new Lamb in some way getting established.
Karl@KCM Posted - 21 Mar 2012 : 17:27:57
I play golf (badly) and dont have a ticket either
wigit Posted - 21 Mar 2012 : 15:20:54
Give the place a chance!Not even open yet & you are being negative, Maybe the ticket only idea is are to showcase to local companies to generate trade on the hotel & restaurant side of things.
P.S I don`t play golf nor have I a ticket!!!!
beernard Posted - 21 Mar 2012 : 13:41:27
I have heard the planned opening night is the 28th of march but ticket only! Not aimed at the local pub for local people idea! Probably aimed at the golf society of ham manor!
GoAntique Posted - 18 Mar 2012 : 21:50:45
Hi, we made our first visit to Angmering and the Lamb last week to deliver antique furniture for the refurbished bedrooms.

Reading your forum has made me realise that the Lamb seems to carry a lot of affection from the local residents. On seeing the high quality of the interior fit out Im confident the new look inn will soon become a favoured meeting point. I am sure you are all going to fall in love with the place.

May we extend our best wishes to the new owners and a big thank you to all the people we met on our brief visit who made us feel so welcome.

Jonathan & Lee, GoAntique.co.uk
Karl@KCM Posted - 26 Feb 2012 : 18:50:53
I was in the spotted cow the other evening for dinner, 2 groups around us complained about service (they did have a big party in) but i've never found anything to complain about in any of my visits.

Angmering Forums © Neil Rogers-Davis, 2006 - present Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000